Effective July 1, 2022
Changes to this Privacy Notice
DaVita reserves the right to change this Privacy Notice at any time without prior notice, so check back frequently to review our current terms. Any changes we make to this Privacy Notice will be effective for any information we already have about you. Your continued interaction, use of, or registration with our Services (defined below) means that you accept and agree to practices described in this Privacy Notice.
This Privacy Notice governs the manner in which DaVita collects, creates, accesses, processes, uses, maintains and discloses information collected through your interaction with a variety of our services as described below, collectively referred to as (“Services”):
- Websites that we own and operate, including https://www.davita.com/ and associated subdomains (“Site(s)”);
- Mobile applications that we own and operate, collectively (“App(s)”); and
- Other online services we own and operate which hyperlink to this Privacy Notice.
Please note that the Services governed by this Privacy Notice do not include:
- DaVita International country-specific websites accessible via https://www.davita.com/international; and
- Other services we may offer that do not hyperlink to this Privacy Notice.
- This policy does not apply to information you provide to or is collected by any third party.Our other websites and apps, and these other third parties may have their own privacy policies, which we encourage you to read before providing information on or through them.
Except as expressly stated otherwise, we make our Services available for the purpose of providing useful information to the general public, and not for the purpose of providing health care services. These Services are provided to you as a consumer, and not as a patient of DaVita. In some circumstances, information we may use or disclose may also constitute Protected Health Information (“PHI”) pursuant to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (“HIPAA”). In these circumstances, we will treat your PHI in accordance with our Notice of Privacy Practices, which applies to our delivery of health care or other HIPAA-related services to DaVita patients.
Certain of our Services may offer on-line, self-help and/or educational tools and require users to register for an online account, but our Services are not intended to serve as vehicles for providing medical advice or health care services. Please consult your physician regarding your specific diagnosis, treatment, diet, and health questions. If you areexperiencing an urgent medical condition, immediately call 911.
Information We Collect
When you interact with our Services, we may collect or create pieces of information about you as described in this Privacy Notice (“Your Information”). For example, you might directly provide us with information that you submit to us, or you might provide us with information when you access our Services using your mobile device. Types of Your Information we may collect include:
- Personally identifiable and other demographic information such as your name, gender, date of birth, zip code race and ethnicity.
- Contact information such as your address, email, phone number, or other information you submit when communicating with us, such as the “contact us” sections of our Services.
- Your photo and other profile information when you register and create an account with us, and when you update your profile (see also MyDaVita section below).
- If you choose to use the interactive components of our Services (which may require first establishing an account with us), we may request additional information from you, such as choosing general statements about your health. Using these interactive tools and providing additional information is strictly voluntary.
- Information you publish or submit on publically available websites, blogs, chat rooms, and social media networks.
We may collect information about your physical location when you access our Services through your mobile phone or other device using various technologies described in this Privacy Notice. We may use this location information to provide you with location-based components and content in our Services.
We may collect device-specific information when you visit our Sites or use our Apps. This includes information such as Internet Protocol (IP) address, hardware model, operating system, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information. We may also associate the information we collect from your different devices, which helps us provide consistent Services across your devices.
Other Types of Your Information:
- Our Services may contain transparent GIF files (also known as "web beacons," "action tags," or "pixel tags") or use other technologies to help manage on-line advertising. These GIF files are used to recognize when a user views a web page or opens an email. This information enables DaVita to learn which emails and advertisements bring users to our Services.
- To help manage our advertising, we may use third-party products such as Google Analytics,IBM Marketing Cloud, etc.. These products may cause various cookies to be sent to your browser. These cookies enable DaVita to use other services in conjunction with third-party vendors (such as ad measurement, ad delivery, or reporting services) and these third-party services may send their own cookies to your browser and collect information about your use of our Services, including your IP address. More information on, these third-body products, such as Google Analytics can be found at www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/.
If registering a MyDaVita profile on our Site (https://www.davita.com/register), you will have the opportunity to designate whether to make your profile public or keep it private, and you may change your designation, or change your profile data at any time. Please note that public profiles are often indexed and cached by Internet search engines. Some personal profile information will be visible to other community members and could be made public when you make postings, such as comments to a forum or reviews of recipes. Whether you provide us with Your Information or create a public profile is entirely up to you.
You may correct, amend or delete Your Information, and adjust your account settings by logging into your MyDaVita account and clicking here: https://www.davita.com/mydavita/account-settings. To have your MyDaVita account deleted, contact us using the contact information below.
Communities, Blogs, and Other Public Forums
DaVita’s Services may feature public forums or other community areas where users with similar interests or medical conditions can share information. Such communities and discussions are for informational purposes only and do not constitute medical advice. These communities and discussions are open to the public and should not be considered private.
Any information you choose to share in our on-line communities and discussions is, by design, open to the public and is not private; therefore, you should think carefully before sharing any sensitive information, including information about your health. What you share can be seen, disclosed to, or collected by third-parties and may be used by others in ways we cannot control or predict, including to contact you for purposes you have not authorized.
How We Use Your Information
We may use Your Information in various ways, including:
- To respond to your questions and customer service related inquiries.
- To provide you with specific content and administer Services to you.
- To deliver advertisements, emails, texts and social media notifications about our brand, products, Services, or for other promotional purposes. We may tailor our advertising based on Your Information to send you more practical product or Service recommendations and offers.
- To analyze and improve the quality of our business and Services, and to provide you with a better user experience.
- To combine different pieces of Your Information, to create aggregated, non-personal information, or to create de-identified information.
- To comply with our legal obligations, and to assist law enforcement and respond to regulatory or other legal inquiries.
Newsletters, Emails and Text Messages
When you register for an account or certain other actions through our Services, you may be given the option of receiving recurring informational/promotional newsletters or other emails from DaVita or our business partners. In order for you to subscribe to these emails, we will ask for your contact information. You can unsubscribe from DaVita emails at any time by simply following the directions included at the bottom of each email or by editing the information you entered when you registered. Please note that if you do unsubscribe from receiving marketing-related emails from us, we may still need to send you important administrative messages.
You can opt-out of text messages to which you have subscribed. The simplest way to opt-out of receiving text messages is to reply “Stop” to any text message you receive from us.
If you have difficulties with our newsletters, emails or texts that you cannot address as described above, please see the contact information in the “Questions, Complaints and Contacts” section below and let us know about your issue.
How We Disclose Your Information
The following describes the purposes for which we may share Your Information, and who we may disclose it to:
- To an affiliate or subsidiary to which such information is associated. DaVita obtains various types of services from its affiliates, subsidiaries, and other trusted business partners. DaVita may share Your Information with these vendors to enable them to deliver services to DaVita.
- To third-parties for their direct marketing purposes, provided that you have consented to such sharing.
- In response to a court order, subpoena, search warrant, law, or regulation. We may cooperate with law enforcement in investigating and prosecuting activities that are illegal, violate our rules, or may be harmful to other visitors.
- In connection with a corporate transaction, such as a sale, assignment, divestiture, merger, bankruptcy, consolidation, reorganization, liquidation, or other transfer of the company or its assets. We may transfer or assign this Privacy Notice and any of Your Information to a third-party entity that acquires or is merged with DaVita as part of a merger, acquisition, sale, or other change of ownership.
- In other ways described to you at the point of collection, or pursuant to your consent.
How We Interact With Third Parties
Links to Third-Party Websites
As a resource to users of our Services, DaVita may provide links to other unaffiliated websites. DaVita, however, cannot guarantee the policies or standards used by such third-party websites. DaVita does not endorse, nor is it responsible for, the content of, or the privacy practices employed by, any non-DaVita websites. If you visit a third-party website through use of our Services, information you provide on the third-party website is not subject to this Privacy Notice or any other DaVita notice. You should consult the privacy policies of each website you visit.
Social Media Plugins
DaVita’s Services may use social media plugins to enable you to easily share information with others. When you visit a website, the operator of the social plugin can place a cookie on your computer or device enabling that operator to recognize individuals who have previously visited that website. If you are logged into a social media account while browsing our Services, the social plugins allow that social media company to receive information about your use of our Services. Social plugins also allow the social media company to share information about your activities when using our Services with other users of their social media website. For more information about plugins from other social media websites you should refer to those companies’ privacy policies.
How We Protect Your Information
DaVita’s Services incorporate safeguards to help protect the security and privacy of Your Information. DaVita employs certain procedural and technological security measures designed to protect Your Information from unauthorized access and disclosure. We may use encryption, secure sockets layer (SSL) technology, internal restrictions, risk management programs, or other security measures. However, no security system is impenetrable, and transmission of information over the Internet is not completely secure. While we take steps to protect Your Information, we cannot guarantee its privacy or security. If you have any questions about the security of Your Information, please reach out to us using the contact information in the “Questions, Complaints and Contacts” section below.
DaVita’s Services are not intended for children under 13 years of age, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13 without parental consent. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us.
California residents under 16 years of age may have additional rights regarding the collection and sale of their personal information. If you are California resident and have a question about your Personal Information, contact us via one of the methods in the How to Contact Us section.
We strive to maintain the accuracy of Your Information, and will use commercially reasonable efforts to respond promptly to update our database when you tell us any such information in our database is not accurate. It is your responsibility to ensure that such information is accurate, complete and up-to-date. To make changes or delete Your Information, to delete your account, or for other requests or issues, please reach out to us using the contact information in the “Questions, Complaints and Contacts” section below.
Your Privacy Rights
Certain privacy laws may provide you with rights related to your information and DaVita's processing of your information. Your privacy rights may include the following:
- You may have the right to request DaVita to disclose your Personal Information that we collect, use or disclose to 3rd parties.
- You may have the right to request DaVita to delete your Personal Information collected or maintained by DaVita.
You can submit your request(s) by the following methods:
- Contact DaVita by email or postal mail, as described in the "Questions, Complaints and Contacts" section below, or
- Complete the web form by clicking here.
DaVita will contact you to confirm receipt of your request and provide any additional steps needed to verify your identity and/or the scope of your request.
DaVita will not discriminate against you for exercising your rights as provided under applicable laws or regulations.
DaVita does not sell Personal Information to 3rd parties, and has not sold Personal Information for a commercial or business purpose in the previous twelve (12) months, including any Personal Information of minors under sixteen (16) years of age.
Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, California law may provide you with additional rights regarding our use of your personal information. California's "Shine the Light" law (Civil Code Section § 1798.83) permits users of DaVita Services that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to or write us at the address provided in the contact information below.
Your Nevada Privacy Rights
Nevada residents who wish to exercise their sale opt-out rights under Nevada Revised Statutes Chapter 603A may submit a request to the contact information provided below. However, please know we do not currently sell data triggering that statute’s opt-out requirements.
Special Notice to Non-U.S. Users
If you are located outside the United States and choose to provide information to us, please note that we may store in, process in, or transfer outside of your home country and into the United States the data, including Your Information. Your consent to this Privacy Notice followed by your submission of such information represents your agreement to that transfer. If you are located in a country outside the U.S. and submit Your Information to us, you further consent to the general use and disclosure of such information as provided in this Privacy Notice and to the transfer or storage of that information to the U.S. and other countries outside your home country
Retention of Your Information
We will retain Your Information for the length of time needed to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Privacy Notice unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law. If you close your account with us, we will no longer use your online account information or share it with third parties. We may, however, retain a copy of Your Information for archival purposes.
Questions, Complaints and Contact Us
If you have a question about DaVita’s Privacy Notice, Your Information, or DaVita’s uses of Your Information, you may contact us by clicking on the contact us link or by using the information below.
DaVita Privacy Office
2000 16th Street
Denver, CO 80202