Festive seasons are times when family and friends get together to have a good time around food. You can enjoy the festivities whilst staying mindful and eating for a healthy life. Here are a few ideas to help you along the eating occasions during any celebration:
- Reduce intake of red meat – best options are grilled and boiled white meat
- Eat more fresh vegetables
- Avoid overeating at dinner and do not sleep immediately after eating a large meal
- Continue to stay active with light exercises
- Stay away from salty and high-fat foods
- Keep your phosphorus, sodium and potassium levels in mind
Your dietician and care team members might have some delicious celebratory food suggestions. Speak to them for some interesting recipes and suggestions.
The Holy Month of Ramadan holds strong significance to Muslims around the world. Patients on haemodialysis are encouraged to discuss with their doctors whether they should fast during the holy month. Any chronic conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, heart conditions require the doctor’s advice to avoid any dangerous complications during fasting.